Sunday 12 June 2011

Project 1 - Progression

 I start modeling the head from a basic cylinder.

 I extruded, scaled and extruded the top and bottom surfaces to create the top of the head as well as the neck. However, I felt that the edges were too sharp and didn't look as rounded as my toy.

Hence, I used the insert edge loop tool to insert new edges and scaled them to make the head look rounder.
I then started on the body by creating a cuboid and attaching it to the neck.

In edge mode, I scaled the sides of the cuboid to form a trapezium for my body.

I added another cuboid to form the lower body.

 I then started on the lower body by using cylinders to form the thighs of my lego man.

I used cuboids for the legs. Initially, I just pushed a cuboid into the cylinders. Then, I remembered that overlapping is not encouraged. Hence, I used boolean differences to cut out the overlapping areas and connected the two parts nicely.

I did the same for both sides and used the edge loop tool to create and extra edge for extrusion to form the feet.

The arms were the most difficult part for me. I created a cylinder, extruded and scaled it such that I get a rounded surface as shown in the image. I also used insert edge tool to insert edges and scaled them to make it even rounder. This formed the shoulders.

In face mode, I then extruded part of the cylinder to form the upper arm. After extruding, the extruded part looked weird and I had to scale it properly to form the arm. I then rotated the surfaces, extruded and scaled once again to form the lower arm. It turned out better than I expected.

Lastly was the hands. I used boolean differences to create holes in cylinders to form the hands, and extruded part of the back of the cylinders to form the wrists which were then attached to the lower arm.

After I was done, I realised that my toy had a hole at the top of its head while my model did not, hence I used boolean differences to create a hole using a smaller cylinder. 
I used images as reference throughout the whole modeling process.

Actual toy.
 This is the final outcome of my model after I soften some edges and applied colors onto it.
Reflections:

I am generally satisfied with my final outcome, although I do not have textures. I've learnt alot from this project as I had to research and experiment different ways to create different parts to see which method is better. I had trouble with the arms, so I sought help from different sources such as online documents, videos, as well as my friends. Other than the arms, the rest of the parts were relatively simple as I worked with familiar tools such as extrusion and scaling. Modeling a legoman gives me the basic experience of modeling something similar yet simpler to a human, which I am interested to venture into somewhere in the future. I will also brush up on my texturing skills, probably by asking my classmates for demonstrations so that I will be able to texture my future objects. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment